Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Beets Me.........


Today is an important day – I’m posting a photo that I actually took and posted to this blog. And what a photo it is…….beets……..
I am a typical Canadian – a mixture of two nationalities, Swiss Protestant German father and a Polish Catholic mother. My children’s genealogy is even more vibrant – added to my heritage we throw in British Anglican, Polish and Austro-Hungarian, Prussian and Czech, and Jewish. What does this mean?

Well – it means an inherited love of chocolate, pierogies, cabbage rolls, pickles, beets, sauerkraut, sausage……..you get what I mean. My 87 year old mother is traveling down to Wichita for Easter weekend – and so Easter food – Easter Polish food is on my mind.

Easter in our house always meant a big pot of cabbage rolls (well, actually every big holiday meant cabbage rolls), ham and pierogies. As well, my mother always made a mixture of horseradish and grated beets – one of the foods from her childhood (with an Easter meaning).

My mother stopped making cabbage rolls a few years ago – and although I have helped her over the years, I have never made them on my own. There will be no cabbage rolls for Easter this year – but there will be beets! Check out my recent purchases.

Two things you need to know:
1. Aunt Nellie’s Pickled Beets – as a matter of fact, I DO have an Aunt Nellie (although she isn’t the eponymous pickled beet maker). Her pioneer family had many children, most of them with some of the more terrible names known to womankind: Sophie, Nellie, Elsie, Josephine, Bertha, Helen, Frances, Mary, Anne. So – when I saw this brand, I had to buy it – and it is delicious.
2. Peeled, Steamed Ready to Eat Baby Beets – this solves the problem of the time and mess it takes to cook beets. These are ready to eat, hot or cold. For a beet lover, they are a great find.

So we might not have cabbage rolls for Easter, but we will be having beets – lots of them..........

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As the "sister' (no descriptive text required) if I were with you I could & would make you cabbage rolls. It just won't be Easter without them. But you will have beets. They're almost a condiment???....right klk

Anonymous said...

I don't just have the Aunt Nellie's beets in the fridge, I have other brands too.....condiments....yum.......

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you should go to New Zealand, I'm not sure Aunt Nellie has made it but beet(beetroot) is a favourite food there. A complete aisle in supermarkets is dedicated to tinned varieties. Its even on the MacDonalds Kiwi burger!