Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Dang it, we missed it.........


I like to think that I keep you up-to-date on important events that are happening all around us. But alas, I missed alerting you to the fact that yesterday was "National Eggs Benedict Day". It doesn't really seem fair that such an important day should be on a work day - really, don't you think it should only fall on a Sunday?

Traditional Eggs Benedict is simply poached eggs on a round of Canadian bacon perched on a split English muffin, covered in a soft yellow blanket of hollandaise. Thanks to slashfood.com for alerting us to this important day and for these variations: Eggs Maryland (poached eggs and hollandaise over crab cakes) or Eggs a la Commodore (poached eggs and Béchamel sauce over foie gras puree on buttered toast circles) or the favourite in my hometown Vancouver, Eggs Benedict on Smoked Salmon.

I wonder if there is a "National Champagne and Orange Juice Day" to go along with Eggs Benedict.........and please let it be on a lazy, sunny Sunday morning........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why weren't we told? I agree that such important days should only occur on Sundays when they can be appreciated properly.
I would like a French Toast day- my favourite breakfast meal- the best so far is at the Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge, Mass.
All great food days should be on weekends!
Nora