Friday, May 16, 2008

More on Libraries......


I am in the process of packing up things here in Wichita for my drive back to Vancouver. Today I spent time sorting through things I have accumulated - magazines, newspaper clippings, correspondence, bills and books. A few weeks ago I took two bags of books to Victory in the Valley, the Cancer Support Organization here. I'm only taking a few books back with me. A while back I confessed that I had cleared out boxes and boxes of books over the last year - books that I had owned and loved for almost 40 years. Here is an article about a man who doesn't dispose of books - he now has over 30,000 of them.


"My library is not a single beast but a composite of many others, a
fantastic animal made up of the several libraries built and then abandoned, over and over again, throughout my life. I can’t remember a time in which I didn’t have a library of some sort."
He never lends his books and he has a good system for organization. He doesn't say if the spines are at the front of the book shelf though (but from the photo above, I'd say he does), nor does he say who dusts all these books......

No comments: