Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Mother's Day........

Coming up this Sunday - Mother's Day. I hope you haven't forgotten to mail a card or organize a present if you live far away from your mother (all your mothers will now thank me for reminding you). While I'm sojourning here in Kansas, my mother is in Vancouver feeling very lonely and deserted. I sent a card last week so hopefully it will arrive on time. My mother always expected that we observe the special day - and woe to us all if we would have ever neglected to make a special effort on the day.

When my children lived at home they were always moved to do something special, but partly this was because there were two grandmothers to also consider. Frankly, I never really liked the idea of Mother's Day - I am uncomfortable with the Hallmark aspects of the day and that the day has become one of the most commercially successful U.S. occasions. Wikipedia tells me that according to the National Restaurant Association, Mother's Day is now the most popular day of the year to dine out at a restaurant in the United States. It is big business.....

Martha Stewart suggests this multi-generational card craft to celebrate our mothers - a nice idea and not a Hallmark card.



I do know I'll miss my mother and my children this weekend. But it is just a day.

In other family news, my older and meaner sister* arrives tomorrow from Ontario - she will help us pack up and will drive with me back to Vancouver (road trip, road trip). My sojourn here in Kansas is coming to an end.......

* This may or may not be true

No comments: