Sunday, October 19, 2008

Look Ma......I'm Knitting.........

I greatly admire all my wacky knitting friends (real and blogworld). I have not knit anything for many years but I was pleased to see that it wasn't that hard to pick up again. A woman in my Tuesday Movies group, Ev, assembles "comfort baskets" for young children who are brought into emergency care - children who need to be given care when bad things happen. She assembles baskets that have treats for the children, toiletries and basics, as well as things that bring hopefully a bit of comfort. Each basket has a home-made blanket (and a teddy or doll that has a scarf of item of clothing made with the same wool). She got me started knitting again..... Here is my first blanket for Ev and the kids she helps. I'm starting my next blanket tonight.........



Speaking of blankets - when Miguel was in cancer treatment he was given a small cotton and flannel "Miracle Blanket" by his ex-wife. A prayer group at her church lovingly makes the Miracle Blankets in the hope that the blankets provide comfort to those in need. Miguel used the blanket on his pillow every night - and we are pretty certain that the prayers and good thoughts of those who made the blanket (and gave it to him) were helpful over the long dark painful months.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Krista,
What a wonderful gesture. I think that I am going to start knitting blankets or at least alternate with the scarves which I am still knitting and giving away.
Nice to know that you giving comfort to someone. Good for you.
Nora

Anonymous said...

Krista, that blanket is beautiful! You did a lovely job. Someone is going to love cuddling up underneath it.
Wendy