Saturday, December 6, 2008

Going Home.....

While Miguel was in Kansas for Thanksgiving with his children, I went to Toronto to visit friends and family. It was the first time I have returned to Toronto since my Dad died just over two years ago. For the last twenty-five years, I have traveled at least once a year to Toronto to visit my Dad and I knew it would be sad to return there with him gone. I did get a chance to have a good visit with my older meaner sister and my baby brother. My second born, son and heir was in essay and exam hell (he is in his 4th year at the University of Toronto) so I knew that he wouldn't have much time to spend with me -and after he contracted a terrible cold and flu, I kept away from him as I didn't want to bring any germs home to Miguel. What did I do in Toronto?

1. I got to see my son's a cappella group perform at their Christmas concert. I haven't heard him sing since he left high school, so that was a real treat for me. He loves singing - always has - and it is great fun to watch him perform. Plus, his solo of "Silent Night" made the whole trip worthwhile.

2. My friend Wendy took me along with her teenagers to see James Blunt in concert. It was lots of fun to see him dance and jump around the stage - the audience of young women went crazy and the noise was deafening. It has been a long long time since I was at a rockish-type concert and I was gobsmacked by the lights, staging and musical arrangements. Plus - we had dinner at the Air Canada Centre Restaurant beforehand and I had my first $29 (Canadian) hamburger. Yep - $29 and Wendy paid for it all......thank you Wendy.......

3. I spent one morning visiting the new Frank Gehry addition to the Art Gallery of Ontario. What a great building - it is bright, shiny, monumental and imaginative all at the same time. Torontonians, you should be very proud of this world-class structure.

It was great to visit with old friends and to see my son and family...... Great news for me - my daughter arrives home for the holidays next week and my son will be home soon............ Next stop, Christmas..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention that James Blunt surfed on top of his piano. That may not beat the Christmas concert of your son's but I'm sure it is as amazing as anything at the AGO.