Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Inauguration Day.......

It was a long day of television and friends. On the west coast we were up at 6 a.m. to watch the festivities unfold. Friends arrived around 8:30 and we were well into our Mimosas and Caesars by the time the Oath of Office was recited, er, bungled. I loved almost everything - the only thing I didn't really like was Rick Warren's Invocation (for what he said and what he stands for). I think I would have been booing the announcement of Bush and probably joining in the good-bye song. I enjoyed the poem (although it wasn't a big hit with my guests), I marvelled at Aretha Franklin's hat (have I mentioned I hate hats), I smiled at the well-behaved yet joyous young Obama daughters, and I was touched by the joy and adoration of those in the crowd. I thought that Reverend Lowery's Benediction was the perfect way to end the day and so I will repeat it here for you:

"REV LOWERY: Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get back, when brown can stick around -- when yellow will be mellow -- when the red man can get ahead, man -- and when white will embrace what is right. Let all those who do justice and love mercy say amen.

AUDIENCE: Amen!

REV. LOWERY: Say amen --

AUDIENCE: Amen!

REV. LOWERY: -- and amen.

AUDIENCE: Amen!"

I can't imagine doing anything yesterday than watching television from 6 in the morning. It was a very good day.

No comments: