Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Leaking Water - there is always leaking water.....

I always seem to have water leaking somewhere (and I'm not talking about my own internal plumbing - at least not yet). In the last year the bathtub leaked into the walls and basement, the roof leaked and needed replacing.....and now.....now that we just refinished the wood floors in our kitchen, the dishwasher started leaking (on my beautiful newly refinished floors!) How did the dishwasher know that the floor was newly refinished?

So, it was time to replace the dishwasher. But there is a story about my dishwasher and we have to go back about 15 years ago......

When I bought this old crummy house there was a very small old fashioned kitchen, with a portable dishwasher. But heck - it was a dishwasher and it did a fine job. But one day just before Christmas it broke....and this is the part of the story that probably involved me whining.....four of my girl-friends (bless you Jane, Debbie, Nancy and Laura) all went together and bought me a new dishwasher as a present. Imagine that. A spanky new dishwasher (the built-in kind) arrived just a day or so before Christmas.....except that what I had was a portable kind. But.....never fear......this propelled me into fixing the cabinets, doing a massive repainting job and building a place for the spanky new dishwasher and installing new counter tops. It was so worth it....and that dishwasher has worked fearlessly and loyally through thick and thin since that day (that is, until the floors were refinished). I didn't bother to call my friends to tell them that the dishwasher was broken - I figured they might think I was whining for them to replace it - but I still remember the magic day a dishwasher appeared at my front door. One of the best presents ever......

No comments: