Sunday, June 14, 2009

Mommy Sadness.....

There is such a sad and pathetic irony in the fact that having always encouraged my children to go to university in Eastern Canada and to explore other places to live, that I now really hate them living so far away. My first-born left for university almost 8 years ago. In her last term of university, she headed to Shanghai for an exchange program and she stayed to work in China after that. After a few days visiting, she left on Sunday morning to live in Vietnam. Hopefully she will be back to visit us for the Olympics in February 2010 - but that is 8 months away and I am sick of her being so far away. Enough exploring and having her own life already.....enough I tell you......

My second-born who just graduated from the University of Toronto has decided to find work in Toronto - sure it isn't as far as Vietnam - but I have enjoyed having him home.

Having the kids at home was very helpful over the last few weeks as my mother continues to live here with us recuperating from her accident. They were very sweet with her - playing cards with her, listening to her stories (again and again) and allowing me some precious time to get out a bit. I would like to be able to tell you that we have resolved what will happen next - she still isn't able to go home and live independently and yet she is resistant to getting help.

While the children were here we did have some fun. We went to a 10:45 p.m. show of The Hangover and I was clearly the oldest person in the crowded cinema. Usually by 10:45 p.m. I am getting into my comfy pj's, brushing my teeth and getting ready for Jon Stewart. I enjoyed the movie - it is raunchy and crazy - but mainly I was so happy to get out of the house with the kids (my mother was asleep). We also had a big party one night (planned before my mother's accident) with all our family and many friends (old and young). The best part of the party for me was that I had help - hired help. I hired a bartender (who helped set up and take down everything) and two people to serve food. I also hired Oyster Bob - he brings all kinds of fresh oysters and prepares them for the guests throughout the evening. Not everyone eats fresh oysters, but those who love oysters, had lots of them throughout the evening. I would love to be able to shuck oysters easily for entertaining, but it seems like such a dangerous and daunting task - I know for sure there would be injuries. Having someone shuck the oysters is a great treat. So - if you are in Vancouver and ever want fresh oysters - call Oyster Bob.

No comments: