Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I am an Olympic Enabler....

Yes, sad but true.....I have realized that I am an Olympic Enabler. Today when I drove my sister and my 12 year old niece through the rain to catch the bus to to see the Giant Slalom at Whistler (6 a.m. don't ya know), I felt great happiness that I wasn't going. I have had company in the house since the Olympics started - I have enjoyed driving to and from bus links, dropping people off at the venues....I have shopped for groceries, cooked breakfasts, lunches and dinners....I have rounded up warm or water-proof clothes as needed....I have packed lunches, bought books of bus tickets, sorted through maps and instructions. I have enabled.....

Yesterday I decided that Miguel and I should actually ATTEND an event - it is one thing to hear all about the long line ups for transportation and bathrooms, but we needed to experience it ourselves. So off we went to see the 10,000m speed skating at the Richmond Skating Oval. I guess I should admit that I dragged Miguel along - but once we got there, he said those words "you were right, Krista"....and I WAS right.....we did enjoy ourselves and it was worth going. We enjoyed seeing all the Dutch skating fanatics supporting their excellent skaters. The crowd was buoyant and happy - cheering all the skaters through their grueling performance. There was a lot of drama - Kramer, the Dutch skater with his Olympic record time was disqualified for using the wrong lane - it was heartbreaking to watch.

I have loved every minute of the Olympics - I have enjoyed having a house full of friends and family. I have loved that there were tickets for them to use - and I am happy that I was able to help them get to events and navigate the city. I am a true Olympic enabler.....

No comments: