Wednesday, February 27, 2008

To Gray or Not to Gray?


I have been enjoying the blog of Verena Von Pfetten who writes on The Huffington Post. She went to highschool with my firstborn, daughter and heir (full, plain, true disclosure) so I was referred to her blog by my daughter. Verena writes about boarding the spiritual journey bus – but her articles keep me informed about what people her age are experiencing and thinking. Her recent blog about how women should take a minimal approach to make-up reminded me again of how hard it is to figure out cosmetics as we get older.

My friend Barb mentioned today that she was considering going gray (not colouring her hair anymore). She said that it was too expensive, too much effort and probably terribly harmful (all of which we hair-colourers all know). Barb’s mother still colours her hair and she is in her mid-80’s. My mother stopped long long ago.

It got me thinking…… my said firstborn, daughter and heir (pictured above) has been living and working in China for the last few years. After a year or so, she dyed her hair black, partly for a change and partly to be less conspicuous on the streets. She is dating a boy/lad/man that has never seen her as her true blonde. On the other hand, I’m with a man who has never seen me as my true grey/white hair.

After all these years, I still can’t figure out how to put on make-up properly (and I manage to never actually take it off in the evening) but I suspect at my age when it comes to makeup that “more is more”…… As for the gray hair? I’ve got it…..it is just still hidden. But that could change………

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gray is beautiful.
M*