Monday, March 31, 2008

Etui - a useful four letter word .........






The 31st annual American Crossword Puzzle Tournament is directed by New York Times Crossword Puzzle Editor Will Shortz. Tyler Hinman, a 23-year-old from Chicago took won this tournament, the nation's oldest and largest crossword competition for the fourth straight year!! Solvers tackle eight original crosswords created and edited specially for this event. Scoring is based on accuracy and speed. The grand prize? $5,000.

I got addicted to crosswords a few years ago. I do the Sunday NYTimes puzzle each week and other puzzles during the week. I figure I am a genius if I can finish the Sunday puzzle on Sunday - but some weeks, I return to the puzzle many times before I can finish it completely......... How long does it take Tyler to finish the NYTimes puzzle? On a good day - 3 minutes....and on a day he gets "beat up pretty good"? 8.5 minutes........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like to do the globe cross word puzzle while I am biking in the basement but I am not very good at it.. in fact, I stink! Somehow, I like the idea of doing it and really over time I do get better and it is good for my brain but I will never be a cross word person... yet I will not stop doing it. I am not bad at scrabble... Linda