Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Hot Cross Buns.....One a penny, two a penny......


Easter is coming and although I haven't yet seen Hot Cross Buns in the grocery store here in Wichita I have come across a few articles and photos of this yummy easter bread. This sweet spiced bun, made with currants (and sometimes candied peel) has a cross on the top. The buns have a religious significance - in many historically Christian countries, the buns are traditionally eaten on Good Friday, with the cross standing as a symbol of the crucifixion. I suspect no one really knows or cares about this religious significance in North America - just that they are available at this time of year. I like ones with peel and currants. My mother served them by splitting them lengthwise and lightly grilling/toasting them in a skillet with a bit of butter.

Seems fitting to be thinking about springtime themes - here in Kansas the winter wheat is making the fields green - a complete change from the brown brush and grass of the winter. It will be 71 degrees today (18C for my celsius friends). The sky is bright blue and shining....... spring is here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to get me some hot cross buns -- toasted with butter --delicious. Served with some foil-covered Laura Secord solid chocolate eggs. What could be more satisfying during this dreary time of year?! Not spring here. Snow and more snow, as I said gotta get some hot cross buns. BTW. fixed the knitted hat, made it bigger, and older daughter is wearing it proudly. (see earlier comment re knitting). Still cold enough here to wear a knitted togue.

Wendy