Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Don't listen to her, she is a bad influence........

I have always considered myself to be the anti-bellwether of all things. If you want to know who will win an election, just ask me – the winner will be the other person. If you want to know if something will be a trend, just ask me – if I say no way, rush out and buy it – it will be a huge trend. So when I tell you something is great, you probably should just ignore me. But this once, believe me when I tell you that 30 Rock is a very funny, well-written show.

If you haven’t seen it yet, you can rent Season 1 – you don’t need to catch up really – just watch it next week. If you think one of the reasons my kids and I love the show is because Jack Donaghy (played by Alec Baldwin) looks and acts like my first husband (and their father) you might be partly right. Now that 30 Rock and my other favourite show, The Office are back on Thursday nights, life is practically perfect (especially when Lost starts back again).

Now, people I know in Wichita watch 30 Rock – but it is up to me, big city Canadian girl to bring sex and sin to this virtuous, sleepy community. Last week on 30 Rock there was a hilarious reference to a new NBC Show called “MILF Island” – a make-believe "Survivor"-like show -- referring to a teenager's crude designation of someone's sexy mother. You know what a MILF is, don’t you? Well, when we were talking about the show, laughing about the references to the MILFs having to burn their bikini tops when they are kicked off the island by 8th Grade boys (at Erection Cove, of course), it became evident that no one had ever heard of the term MILF. It was up to me to tell them (but not ever saying the F word, because no one does that here in Kansas). I felt like the kid in primary school who tells all the kids where babies come from (and all the kids go home and tell their parents that it was the bad girl Krista that told them).

So here I am, bringing bad habits, bad language, bad influences, sex and sin to one State at a time………

ps.....a memorable line in 30 Rock by Jack Donaghy, the Executive Producer of MILF Island - "the show is a huge hit especially in the most profitable demographics: soccer moms, NASCAR dads, white collar pervs, and the obese" Gotta love that...

No comments: