Sunday, April 27, 2008

Terrines and Pâté - just another reason to eat pickles?


We never had pâté growing up. Even when our parents gave a party, I don't remember pâté being served. So it isn't one of those foods I love forever from childhood for me - but somehow along the way, I learned to love it. About ten years ago, my friend Jane gave me her long serious French terrine pan (she is an excellent cook, but I suspect she wasn't using it) and I have never used it either. When I see a pâté, I am always suspicious - I know that it may be more mysterymeatish than mystery meat itself. But there really is nothing better than a crusty loaf of bread, with those delicioius cornichons, some grainy mustard and a good pâté. Now that I think about it, I loved my grand-mother-in-law's chopped chicken livers. Chicken livers sauteed in some onions, with salt, pepper, worchestershire sauce (probably not traditional, but a good addition) and sometimes with boiled eggs, all smushed up.........


What started me on this rambling? A new book on Terrines. Read the article and get some inspiration (terrines and pâtés are now back in fashion) .......... Oh - I do have a terrine pan that has never been used (pre-owned) if anyone wants to make one............

No comments: