Thursday, May 8, 2008

A Big Day......







Today Miguel had his last chemo treatment.......he has endured 8 months of chemo, 4 months of radiation. At times it has seemed like the whole process was interminable...... But today is a banner day........... My friend Cheri in Toronto recounts how on her last day of treatment for leukemia, there was actually a little ceremony - the ringing of a bell to signify the end of the treatments (and to ring in a new beginning) There was no ceremony here today - just me, Miguel (and my sister, who arrived yesterday) silently cheering and celebrating that this part of the journey is over.

Last night I said goodbye to the Wichita Bridge Club - I brought white and red iced cupcakes (my sister brought little Canadian flags from Canada) - so I took Canadian cupcakes for everyone. My bridge friends have been wonderful friends - and they have provided me with lots of information about life in the mid-west (including my extensive research on the Grape Jelly Conspiracy). It has been interesting to hear their opinions on local issues, politics and world events - and they introduced me to Kansas favourites such as fried chicken, iced tea, white gravy, BBQ.

Tomorrow my friend Wendy from Toronto arrives with her daughter Emily. They wanted to see Kansas before I leave and actually make sure that Miguel is doing well. After that I will start the trek home to Vancouver.

It was a big day today............let the bells ring out.........

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

May many bells ring. I have in mind the bells that ring at the end of the 1812 Overture. The bells just keep ringins in celebration.
What a wonderful day!
Nora

Anonymous said...

It has been inspirational and a privilege to share your life these past long months. How fitting to leave with cupcakes and flags. I would like to celebrate in some way so why don't I just go and have a nice big peanut butter and smucker's grape jelly sandwich!

Anonymous said...

This entry made me cry. As Nora said, let the bells ring! We'll look forward to welcoming you back to Vancouver.
Julie