Saturday, May 10, 2008

Things I Have Learned over the Last 8 Months......

I have learned an important lesson. Over the years I have had friends who have faced health problems and I have always wondered how I could help or what I could do. When friends or their families are sick, I always feel so helpless. I always want to do something - but never really want to be presumptuous or interfering. "Can I do something?", I ask. I would do anything a friend asks in that situation - but often the answer is that things are fine and that nothing is needed. So - here is the lesson I have learned. I won't ever listen when people tell me that they don't need any help.

When Miguel got sick there were friends and family who did do things, even when we didn't need anything. People sent flowers, chocolates, biscotti, books....friends and family flew down to visit Miguel even though we told them we were doing just fine (their visits meant so much to us)....friends and family brought things to make our lives easier (like wireless internet routers), videos of the Cubs for Miguel to watch when he was too tired to move, blankets to keep him warm....and more...... Friends called frequently to make sure we weren't lonely (which we were) and friends visited my mother and helped her when I wasn't able to take care of her. Friends looked after our home in Vancouver and took care of anything bad that happened there (like leaks), forwarding mail and taking care of our cat.........so many generous acts ... Miguel and I didn't have to ask for anything and this is what touched us so deeply. Every little kindness was so greatly appreciated. Every kindness made this journey easier and a little happier.

So - I have learned that I will never listen to friends or family when they say they don't need anything........ Thank you everyone for all you have done...........

No comments: