Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Biscotti Experiment........

When I was in Toronto I had two cookie experiences. I got to meet Linda, someone I have never met, but someone who is a reader of this blog who I met through one of those six degrees of separation moments. She brought over some ginger cookies that were delicious - and this got me thinking about Christmas baking.....the fact it was snowing and cold and snowing and cold in Toronto also made me start thinking that Christmas is just around the corner.

Then, Leah of Leah's Home Baking, aka the biscotti queen of Toronto gave me a fabulous array of biscotti to bring home to Miguel. One thing you need to know about Miguel is that he is a committed and dedicated cookie and sweet "dipper". Nothing makes him happier than fresh coffee with a cookie, biscotti or muffin to dip. He loves biscotti especially those made by my former office manager, Wendy. She makes great biscotti for Christmas gifts each year. Alas for Miguel - I was staying in Toronto at my friend's house and we managed to munch up all Leah's biscotti, so Miguel got none.

I am not a good baker - baking requires precision and attention to detail. I don't like measuring and don't like following directions. But inspired by Leah and feeling great guilt for not bringing any biscotti home for Miguel, I attempted my first biscotti. I used a simple recipe, but instead of adding anise extract, I threw in the peel from two oranges, some triple sec and more than a few chocolate chips. All in all, I was pretty happy with the results. A little precision and attention to detail did result in some good (if oversized and inelegant) treats.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Krista's biscottis rule!!!

M*

Anonymous said...

Hi Krista, The Molasses cookie recipe practically makes itself.. 1 & 1/2 sticks butter, 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup molasses, 1 egg. Mix butter, sugar and molasses and blend well, add egg and blend and then 1 &3/4 cup flour, 1 tsp. ground ginger, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. baking soda and mix...Bake 8-10 min. and I have a convection oven so I drop the temp. to 325 degrees...Enjoy and have a happy healthy Christmas and New year! Lea has made her chocolate slab cake at any of my important family events over the years and it is the best and serves a huge crowd... LInda