Sunday, August 23, 2009

Things to think about.........

We are making lists of things to do for our upcoming road trip. The usual things - stopping newspapers, making arrangements for the cat (anyone interested in boarding a cat?), making sure my mother will survive without us....the usual........

But always on my mind for the last few days is the recent death of my friend Kilby. I have a friend who once said that "everyone I ever met, I met when my child was in pre-school" That is the case with Kilby..... Some years we saw each other frequently, some years less frequently. She recruited me to serve on some volunteer boards, we gossiped at lunches, we met up if we happened to be on holiday at the same time, we met at political events, we organized fundraising events, we compared notes about our children........ She fought a battle with mantle cell leukemia six years ago.....she was doing so well until a recurrence last year.... and then, very quickly a few weeks ago, the cancer just started to beat her.

Kilby was a good support when Miguel went through his cancer treatments a few years ago. I appreciated her helpful words. She never seemed to lose her vigour and energy for life - and even when I saw her a week or so before she died, she had great optimism that she could beat the cancer - talking about applying for her Nexus immigration card (to make travel to the US easier) and her autumn travel plans.

What does this all mean? How does this happen? I know that you know what I mean - and I know that some of you know some answers.....and I know that some of you have even more questions.......

No comments: