Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Procedure of the Day....hopefully Cementoplasty....

My mother didn't get her cementoplasty yesterday - she was just getting ready for the operation when an emergency came in and she was bumped. So, if all goes well today is the day. While my mother is under general anesthetic, they will get tissue from her kidneys and bones for biopsies. That should tell us more....

Have you ever heard this: "if you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans"? I have been thinking about that over the last few weeks. My family had been making plans for my mother's surprise 90th birthday party in July. Everyone has their airline tickets booked. The hall is booked. I am optimistic that we can still have the party. I have always been optimistic, but some might say I am being a little delusional.

My mother has said right from the day she heard the word "cancer" that she does not want any treatment or any unnecessary intervention. When the anesthetist met with her to discuss the upcoming surgery he asked her what she would want in the event her heart stops beating during the operation. She said she did not want to be resuscitated. Fair enough..... Yesterday I was talking to my mother about letting go.......I had this notion that if her recently deceased and beloved sister Nellie came to get her, that she should know that we would all be fine - that she could go - that we would all understand. I have no idea if this is how "it" works......but it seems like a lovely comforting notion. My mother's response was surprising.....she revealed that when she had her car accident last year, she was knocked unconscious. She believed she was dying yet she had great peace - she saw two coffins - one with her sister Nellie and one marked for her - and she knew Nellie was there to meet her. My mother is a farm girl - she grew up understanding about the cycles of life - about birth, death, rebirth. She is sensible and practical - no nonsense. I hope that Nellie comes to greet her before there is too much pain or suffering.

No comments: