Monday, April 12, 2010

The Word for the Day is....

Cementoplasty.... who knew that a cementy type of material can be injected into bones to make them stronger? Of course, I learn something new every day at the hospital. My mother has been in the hospital now for 17 days and we still don't have a treatment plan or even a final diagnosis. But tomorrow they are doing a cementoplasty into her hip to hopefully provide pain relief (and allow her to cut back on the morphine) and to help her maybe become more mobile. She cannot stand or walk at all - so a hoist is needed to lift her out of bed and into a wheelchair. If she can stand after this procedure, then she can get herself into a wheelchair or a commode and she will be extremely happy...extremely happy.

I have so many things to report, but I find that being at the hospital at least once a day, sometimes twice a day takes up lots of energy. I would love my sibs and my children to be here to help out, but until we know what is happening, I don't want to call on them yet. It isn't that I need "help" - really I don't - it is just that I am not sure I am always doing the right thing and the bearing all the hands-on responsibility is stressful.

A funny hospital food story. My mother has started keeping track of what food she orders each day - to see if what is delivered matches even remotely what she has ordered. For three days in a row she has ordered bran flakes for breakfast - each day she has gotten porridge. Last night's roasted chicken turned out to be slices of pork with gravy.... Sunday's ordered tuna sandwich was fritatta... Today she ordered soup and sandwich....she got a bowl of soup, a spinach salad consisting of 7 leaves of spinach and two tiny pieces of strawberry and a little packet of ketchup. If you can figure this out, let me know....

No comments: