Thursday, October 14, 2010

Passwords.....

Martha - you know I love you. But today's Organizing Tip of the Day has me flummoxed. Martha's tip today is about storing and organizing passwords. You know all about passwords - the ones you need for debit cards, online banking, cell phone activations, mail accounts (and on and on and on). Here is what Martha suggests:

"It's hard to keep all of those numbers and characters straight, especially since you shouldn't use the same password for more than one service. Some people store them in a document on their home computer. This is fine -- if (and only if) you encrypt the file, a feature available on most personal computers.

Encryption scrambles text, so it will be unreadable if someone hacks into your system. Even with this defense, make sure your main log-in is protected by a ''super password,'' one that has at least eight characters and a mix of uppercase and lowercase letters, symbols, and numbers.

There are other, more high-tech storage options to choose from. For example, you could put your passwords on a portable USB flash drive with fingerprint recognition. The biometric device costs upward of $100, but you'll be the only person in the world who can access its contents, because only your fingerprints will open it.

Then there are programs that you can download from the Internet (often for free) that will maintain a protected database of passwords for you."

Whoaaaaaa.......What? EncryptionRMe? I don't think so.

My "Card of Passwords" that I keep near the computer is the best solution I have been able to figure out. Of course, that doesn't help me when I am not near the desktop computer.....Organizing my Passwords is a dream I have (similar to my Organizing My Spice Jars Dream)....On the other hand, organizing passwords will have to take a back seat to these more important dreams: Organizing My Spice Jars, Packing up a House that has been lived in for 20 years, Finding a New Place to Live as well as the Figuring Out How to Find Spouses for Every Single Person I Know....

If you have any un-Martha suggestions for password organization, let me know......

1 comment:

Beth said...

Let me know when you have that spouse ready for me.