Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Events that define my actual age.....


One of my favourite (and oft-visited) blogs is A List of Things Thrown Five Minutes Ago. Every day a group of contributors adds their funny, intelligent and insightful look at our modern world. These contributors and their readers are young, but somehow I don’t feel completely like the old person at the party. You know – the old person that people turn to (out of obligation or guilt) during the party. The old person that needs to be talked to slowly and loudly …..and you are afraid that they will start rambling, or worse, coughing….or even worse….talking to you about what things were like in the olden days.

The other day they asked their readers to fess up about their identities …… and I dutifully responded, knowing full well that I am the old person at the party. I started to think of the signposts that help define how old I am:

1. I saw the Beatles in their first performance in Toronto in 1964. I didn’t save the ticket stub (never did do that stuff) but obviously some people did. I was 11 years old and not a really into Beatlemania – but I knew that day that I was seeing something very exciting.
2. I was alive when JFK was assassinated (I remember when the principal came into our classroom to make the announcement and I raised my hand to ask “what does assassinated mean?”)

That’s how old I am………..

I was reading yesterday that there will be voters in the American election who were 10 years old on September 11, 2001……..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I filled out a questionnaire this week and the conclusion was that I am older than dirt. I saw the Beatles movies and went to the premiere of one of them and paid the outrageous price of $1.00. $1.00 was twice the usual price of a movie.
Certainly, remember November 22 and hearing the annoucement. Was watching TV when Jack Ruby shot Lee Harvey Oswald.
The quizz that I filled out had questions such as complete this phrase _____________ melts in your mouth not in your hand. I scored 19 out of 20 and missed one question only because the correct answer was missing.
But again, I am old as dirt. Milk was delivered by horse when I was young. There was black smith at the end of the street where I lived.
The airport, Malton was a small 2 storey building and people would go for an outing and stand on the roof of the building watching propeller planes land and take-off.
Guess I win in the old category.
Nora