Saturday, February 23, 2008

Missing Canada, eh

While down in Kansas, I often think that this whole adventure would be much different (and much more difficult) if:

1. There weren’t reasonable phone rates to keep in touch with family and friends
2. There wasn’t SKYPE to talk to those who skype to communicate
3. There wasn’t the internet to keep up to date with the happenings and news of my friends
4. There wasn’t easy access to Canadian newspapers and magazines online.

I try and go to the main library at least once a week. They actually carry the “real” hardcopy Macleans, but you won’t find any other Canadian magazines in the reference section. The Vancouver Sun highlights arrive in my inbox each morning. I rely on friends to then send me other news and alert me to interesting articles in other newspapers and magazines. So – I am up to date on the latest gangland shootings in Vancouver and the continuing ennui of federal politics.

When on holidays, it is sometimes refreshing to take a break from the news. But, I’m not really on holiday and there is so much US politics to watch and read about. If people in Kansas were more interested in Canadian politics, I would be tempted to start a rumour that Celine Dion (who they know) and Stephane Dion (who??) are siblings. They have heard of Trudeau but have no idea as to other subsequent Prime Ministers or political figures. Celine and Stephane.....now that might make people interested………

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

eh!........ Stephane and Celine related....... could this explain the new concept of "stealth leadership"....... he doesn't want to be associated with "Titanic" in any way!

Anonymous said...

Don't you Stephane IS the Titanic personified? going down, down down.....