Tuesday, April 22, 2008

What I'll be Watching on TV Tonight.......

Of course, I'll be watching the Pennsylvania primary results tonight - but before that I'll be watching for the first time this year - American Idol. Why, you might ask? Well, for one reason only - tonight is Andrew Lloyd Webber night.

For over thirty years I have enjoyed his theatrical creations. My children can sing every word to every song from every one of his productions. My secondborn, son and heir could sing the words (with his own unique pronunciation) to "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Coat" before he could talk (it was hilarious).

When my firstborn, daughter and heir was seven in 1990, I had to go to New York City for a meeting - and I brought her along, SOLELY because she loved the music to "Miss Saigon" so much. The play had just opened on Broadway and it cost me a fortune to get tickets - but I know she remembers that play to this day. This same daughter convinced every person that loved her to take her to see "Phantom of the Opera" when it came to the stage in Vancouver - she probably saw it 10 times. I didn't foist this music on my kids (like piano lessons) - they just discovered it on their own and listened to it endlessly - loved the stories, the music, the staging, the experience. I must say that I'm not sure these obsessions have ruined my children's lives, but every time I hear one of the songs from any of these musicals, I do think of my children singing along.....

Funnily enough, my little niece, aged 10 recently performed "There is a Castle on a Cloud" for a musical competition in small-town Ontario. She sang it for me over the phone - obviously the stage musical lover gene lives on........

No comments: