Saturday, June 14, 2008

My mother (and John McCain) can't use a computer

For many years I tried to convince my mother to learn how to use a computer. Although she is a busy and active senior, I thought that it would be great for her to be able to communicate through email with her grandchildren who live far away. She refused to succumb to the siren call of the internet world. This past year when I was living far away in Kansas, daily communications with her were difficult - she couldn't get a daily little update from me, she couldn't view digital photos, she couldn't let us know what was happening in her world. She is in her mid-eighties - and I have often thought that she might be the last generation of people that never learned to use a computer. But I was wrong - it appears from this article and video clip in Mother Jones that Republican Presidential candidate John McCain doesn't know how to use a computer. There are many skills that I think are "extra" skills in life - flying a plane, using power tools, riding a horse - and I'm not sure that I would think that any of these would be important for someone wanting to be a President. But I do think using a computer is important - it is the baseline for someone who wants to be a CEO of anything. Can you imagine a major corporation hiring someone who can't use the computer?

No comments: