Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I didn't.........

yes.....I did. I acquired more stuff this week. Over the last year I have spent many days moaning about all the stuff that has found its way to my house. Every time I have done home repairs or renovations, I have dutifully and righteously sent stuff to worthy charities (or thrown away the useless stuff). Vases, clothing, furniture no longer needed - you name it, I have cursed every time I realize how much stuff we have accumulated. Then, last month we had to clean out my mother's apartment to prepare for her move into a very small assisted living room - days and days we spent disposing of her stuff......

And then.....what do I do? I go out and purchase this monster.


What could I have been thinking? A crockpot???
Ever since Miguel got cancer in his throat he has been unable to eat regular food. His dentures have been problematic and he still has problems swallowing. So really, soups, stews and stewps (or is it stoups?) are really what he can manage. In my defense, I did ask everyone I know if they had a crockpot that they weren't using - I really didn't want to have to buy something new. And I did search craigslist - but the cost of a new crockpot is the same as most people ask for a used one.....
The problem for me is that I have always been in a hurry - and even more so in the kitchen. I have spent a lifetime cooking (er, burning) everything on high heat....why cook on medium when you can cook it on high heat? Tending to stews and soups? Hmmmm....it is just too easy to forget and walk away.......
So now I'm the proud owner of a crock pot that is almost bigger than our car......if you look closely you might see some beef and vegetables simmering away. You might see that there is a "slow" and "fast" option to this crockpot - of course I had to buy one that had those options. You might also notice that it is set for "fast" - always fast.......

No comments: