Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Stinking Hot in Vancouver....

Hard to believe I am writing those words "stinking hot".......but we have had the most amazing heat wave here. No rain, just hot hot hot. Today it will be 35C (well, that is at least 102F for my American friends - or at least that is what I think it is) In Vancouver no one has air conditioning, so it is a challenge to keep cool. Over Christmas we had record snow, now we are having prolonged record heat - go figure.
My mother is adjusting very well to her new assisted living facility. We bought her a croquet set and bocce set last weekend. She had thought it would be nice if she could play a game outside on the green grass surrounding the facility - so we figured croquet and bocce might just be perfect. At first she thought that she should safe-guard her new games in her room, but she quickly saw that lots of people wanted to join in and play. When the director announced to everyone at lunch that my mother had gotten these new games for everyone in the facility, all the residents applauded and she is now the star! Next step? I am thinking of talking to the Director about getting a WII for them - there is a big television in the lobby....shouldn't they have some of the WII games? Not that I would know how to install or play the WII - but someone should know......
Did I hear you mention "bridge playing genius"? You didn't? Yesterday my bridge partner and I won a REAL honest-to-goodness trophy at a special tournament. Our names are being engraved on our personal trophies and on the big trophy as we speak. You don't believe me? There will be proof my friends.....I will get you proof. No one could be more surprised than us - we are usually in last place (or very close to last place). For a few fleeting moments a flash of orgasmic (or semi-orgasmic) bridge pleasure....
Speaking of crockpots - that monster of a pot has been used five times now. I figure that once I have used it 39.99 times, it will have cost me $1.00 per use. I tried making steel cut oats in it overnight (excellent saving of cooking time in the morning), a great vegetable soup, a stew, chili verde (for a party we had) and pork meat for tacos (for a party we had).....SO....only 34.99 times more to be used. I suspect crockpot usage improves in cooler weather - it is even too hot here to chop vegetables!

No comments: